Tanzania seems to be going counter to all things East African. If they do not want to be part of the EAC then let it be!
TZ is charging Kenyan & Ugandan drivers $100 as a "temporary" work permit fee. That is a ridiculous amount considering the low wages prevalent among lorry drivers! Many lorries have 2 drivers for safety reasons have to pay $200. This raises the cost of business for all. It makes sense to register all the drivers who come through for security reasons & a modest fee like $5 would cover expenses of monitoring such a program.
TZ also increased taxes on cooking oils & fats that primarily affects Kenyan & Ugandan manufacturers.
TZ has plenty to gain from a stronger E.Africa esp from increased tourism overflow from Kenya.
TZ has in recent times kicked out journalists & managers from the Nation Media Group by withdrawing their work permits coz they ran stories critical of the current government.
- ► 2012 (29)
- ► 2011 (44)
- ► 2008 (170)
- ► 2007 (79)
- ScanGroup off to an explosive start in initial Tra...
- ScanGroup Announces 1H 2006 Results
- Bamburi - Friend or Foe?
- Scangroup IPO beats expectations!
- Kenya Airways & Kenya Times - World of Difference!...
- Private Firms going Public ? - The Contenders
- New Listings on NSE in 2006-7... Wishful thinking?...
- mukhisa kituyi's comments on EAPC & Ole Mapelu don...
- Kick Tanzania out of the EAC
- Merali Empire gets unfavourable review from Nation...
- Scangroup IPO massively oversubscribed!
- CEOs & Managers Resign in Protest of Government In...
- ▼ August (12)