I have never liked how SafCon would rip us off with horrendous calling charges... so I tried to support KenCell-Celtel-Zain when I could.
I was a classic double/triple SIMmer... I had 3 phones:
- SafCon for SafCon to SafCon (it has the largest subscriber users)
- Zain to Zain (occasional use)
- Telkom to Telkom (they had corporate reach for intra-company calls)
Now... I am 95% on Zain. I will even return missed calls when I sign up for the "Unlimited Package" between 6am to 6pm. Yes... $1/day buys me 12 hours of unlimited talk time... granted... I start using it at 8am at the earliest & only on Zain... but I can talk & talk & talk...
I was on PAMOJA but since I have to call some (non-progressive) folks on SafCon, I changed (vukad) to VUKA. I miss the 3/- Pamoja but its only 20/- to change tariffs on Zain on weekends.
If only Zain had introduced VUKA before the SafCon IPO... I betcha the over-subscription would have been much lower.
Zain has unlimited - albeit slow - internet access at 3,000/- per month. I currently use SafCon coz of (1) speed & (2) pre-paid but if Zain were to give me 3G... I would vuka that over as well.
When Zain introduces their 1,000/- phone... I expect many more subscribers to migrate to Zain.
There are some hardcore Suffericomers there... but I laugh at them when I can call them at rates 66% lower than they can call me... as is... I hardly call SafCon anyway! My new habit when I have to call anyone on safaricon or orange is... do you have a Zain number????
So... safcon shares may not be as cheap as they seem at KES 4.80...
I have not been paid by Zain... but if Rene Meze is reading this... I am responsible for at least 25 migrations over to Zain...
- ► 2012 (29)
- ► 2011 (44)
- Dead cat bounce at NSE?
- KQ has profitable 1H 2008-9
- Where is the Co-op Bank IPO prospectus?
- NSE going to the dogs?
- Kenyan Banks - Raising Capital
- History - We will NEVER learn
- beth 'brainless' mugo vs NEMA
- Corruption at the United Nations in Kenya
- Kenya to pay $91 million in 2009 for anglo-fleecin...
- NSSF, Discount Securities & atwoli
- Africa - The New Frontier (Part 1)
- Discount Definitely Discounted
- Discount Securities discounted...?
- Zain knock out SafCon
- Oops, alfie "foot in mouth" mutua does it again......
- ▼ October (15)
- ► 2007 (79)
- ► 2006 (99)