[Kenya's whole district thing is too new for me so I will use provinces coz easier to remember!]
Kenya's Athi River Mining (ARM) does not have a cement plant in the town of Athi River but one in Kaloleni, Kilifi District, Coast Province. ARM is building a huge plant in Tanga, Tanzania & will also use it to supply Kenya.
Uganda's Tororo Cement owns Mombasa Cement but the plant is not located anywhere near Mombasa (Coast Province) but in the town/district of Athi River.
France's LaFarge owns Kenya's Bamburi Cement (plants in Mombasa & Athi River) which owns Hima Cement in Uganda. The Mombasa plant exports to Seychelles and Mauritius.
India's Sanghi Cement is building a plant in West Pokot in Kenya but the target market is South Sudan & DRC
Kenya's Devki Cement has a plant in Athi River.
France's LaFarge has a large stake in EA Portland Cement located in Athi River.
France's LaFarge owns Mbeya Cement in Mbeya Tanzania which often supplies Zambia.
France's LaFarge owns Chilanga (now LaFarge Zambia) Cement in Chilanga & Ndola Zambia. The Ndola plant supplies DRC. Turns out LFZ has shares in Mbeya Cement of Tanzania.
To add to all this... Kenya & Tanzania import cement from Egypt, Pakistan & China!
*** Updates - I have been informed (but not verified):
1) ARM has a 'Cement Grinding' plant in/near Athi River
2) Mombasa Cement has a clinker plant near Mombasa
- ► 2012 (29)
- Business Daily... Quality? Editorial Failure?
- Kibaki & the Demolition Squad
- The Dollarization of Kenya
- A Rant On Public Finances
- Price Controls - Failures Abound in the Fuel Secto...
- East African Community - Union? What Union?
- Price Controls - Failures
- Syokimau - The saga continues...
- Syokimau - Smoke, Mirrors & Bullshit
- Syokimau - Land Rights (or lack thereof) in Kenya
- Cement Firms in East Africa
- Insider Dealing on Nairobi Securities Exchange
- Kenya in 2012
- ▼ November (13)
- ► 2008 (170)
- ► 2007 (79)
- ► 2006 (99)