The Government of Kenya (or some idiots within it) were "insulted" when an article in The Economist referred to "new" Africans as Cheetahs vs the "old, corrupt, status-quo' Africans as Hippos.
So the IDIOTS canceled an important meeting/conference the Economist was going to hold in Nairobi in view of the Economist's article. It turns out it was an AFRICAN (George Ayittey) made a great speech on why he believes in Africa & referred to Cheetahs & Hippos!
He also argues that Capitalism was integral to ancient African communities. The marketplaces e.g. Timbuktu was a marketplace. What the "Hippos" introduced as "Socialism" (including African Socialism as attempted in Kenya or Tanzania) was a form of "Swiss-bank Socialism" for the Hippos.
Anyway, here is his definition paraphrased.
The Cheetah Generation - made up of the youth, specifically the TED Fellows present here, the saviors of Africa who are not going to wait for government and aid organizations to do things for them.
The Hippo Generation - the current political and business leaders who are happy to wallow in their water holes, complaining about colonialism and poverty, but doing nothing about it.
Here are some sources of information on George Ayittey's speech.
Where are the Hippos?
- ► 2012 (29)
- ► 2011 (44)
- ► 2008 (170)
- So how much moi and his cronies steal?
- What is "Variable Weighted Average Price"
- NSE is unfair to Francis Thuo customers!
- Safaricom - 10% (not 5%) was stolen!
- More small cars coming our way from India...
- Housewife make Millions... trading stocks & forex!...
- Cheetahs vs Hippos
- Her... She... is... Mine...
- Why JKIA needs a 2nd runway...
- How to buy shares offered under a Rights Issue
- Olympia Capital Holdings announces Rights price......
- Nakumatt eyes Ugandan chain?
- For the Obama fans... the Obama Girl...
- Are all Telekoms or Telkoms the same the world ove...
- Business Process Outsourcing...
- ▼ August (15)
- ► 2006 (99)