Kenya needs to fight - at the WTO - other countries that provide subsidies to its industries & agricultural entities.
- Better infrastructure so products can move easily to & from all parts of the country. This will reduce costs of transporting foods as well as reduce wastage.
- Better access to credit facilities but through private institutions e.g. KCB, Equity Bank, etc.
- Change from 'imported' crops (e.g. maize, wheat) to local/native crops like Sorghum, Millet, Cassavas, etc.
- Secure our forests & water catchment areas.
- Reduce population growth. Kenya's population grows much faster than it's real rate of growth. This is unsustainable. China has improved its per capita income by introducing severe measures to curb population growth. I do not advocate what they did but we need to work at reducing the rate.
- Improve agriculture outreach services while reducing direct subsidies. These better techniques can help farmers improve yields.