Tanzania imported melamine-laced milk & milk products. I would not be surprised if some Kenyan firms unwittingly did the same.
The chinese on the other hand have been lobbying African governments not to 'penalize' chinese milk imports! The chinese trade representative in Kenya issued a statement indicating that Kenya should not ban chinese milk products. Sure that's his job but are we fools?
Why do we need to import so many food products?
Why not have:
Weetabix not Kellogg's Cornflakes?
local Cadbury's not Lindt's/Hersheys/imported chocs?
local Minute Maid not Ceres/imported brands?
EABL products not Heineken/Castle (brewed in TZ & S.Africa)?
local sodas not same brands from middle east?
I have consistently argued that Kenyan (& African) consumers have a warped sense of consumerism regarding food products. We 'idolize' imported foods. Some local firms need to be do better & we have to hammer them on quality BUT the obsession with imports?
Go to any Nakumatt & it seems 50% of the food products are imported!!!
- ► 2012 (29)
- ► 2011 (44)
- Land Theft - The Kibaki Years
- How the Kenyan government sabotages success at KQ
- Is Kenya headed for a recession?
- A fox guarding the hen-house
- JKIA is a dump...
- Why Kenya continues to lag...
- Nairobbery - Yes, we are back!
- Why do we import food from China?
- alfie 'foot-in-mouth' mutua calls Obama ignorant
- Big Governments & Corruption - Bedfellows
- Kenyan 'business' reporting - Pathetic or Worse?
- Obama Day? Stupid or merely Silly?
- Return of Big Government?
- Nairobi City Council - Bouquets & Barbs
- Kenya - No rule of Law
- ▼ November (15)
- ► 2007 (79)
- ► 2006 (99)