Equity Bank is in the process of acquiring Uganda Microfinance Ltd. The smart folks at Equity are doing an all-share deal that will leave their 'extra' capital ready for more investments.
KCB is expanding in Uganda, S. Sudan, Rwanda & Tanzaia. It will go for a Rights Issue to raise KShs 5bn. It has an excellent 1Q 2008 (when the troubles affected large swathes of Kenya) with a record KShs 1.7bn (pre-tax) profits.
Co-op Bank wants to go public. They plan to raise KShs 5bn as well. I think they should go for KShs 10bn & will find takers for the shares since the Safaricom refunds will be itching for an avenue for re-investment. Of course, the other banks will be happy to lend additional funds for the IPO.
Central Bank of Kenya K may be forced to sell the Grand Regency to the highest bidder. It is not all in the bag but I would like to see a transparent auction.
I think the auction should allow the winner to put down 20% and pay the balance within 1 year. This will mean more bidders & a higher price. The 'pay later' will allow bidders to pay more since they can look for additional financing after the bidding process is over. If they default, CBK keeps the 20%.
EABL goes green by building a local plant for canned beer. The cans are made of aluminum & can be recyled. The savings are in transportation since bottles are 'heavy' compared to cans. I hope more jobs are also created by bringing the manufacturing home.
New varieties of rice will boost production in Africa leading to better food security. Why should we 'import' rice, maize & wheat? In addition, self-sufficiency means fewer means for government employees to skim Kenyans (e.g. sugar and maize import scandals). Let the farmers earn a decent living!
We need to force the State (GOK) to give up ownership of assets such as KAA, KPA & KPC. Of course, what I want to see are CLEAN deals meaning no favoritism to entrenched interests.
NEMA after the Nakuru debacle is showing a greater interest in our environment but I have a gut feeling that corruption runs rampant there. Maybe I am being a little too skeptical?
There is light at the end of the tunnel!
- ► 2012 (29)
- ► 2011 (44)
- Disinvestment in Kenya
- Kenya needs to emulate India's dynamism...
- Why is Kenyan labour costly vs Chinese labour?
- GoK spends & naps while Kenyans suffer...
- A Tale of two(2) SafCon Prospectuses
- Zimbabwean Follies... Worth a laugh!
- Is Africa politically regressing?
- KAA needs to be privatized
- More stockbrokers to bite the dust?
- Coldtusker becomes a TRILLIONAIRE...
- Banks on a roll...
- Back to Basics - Economics, Finance and Wealth Cre...
- Ah, the Kenya we know...
- Zim$ at 123,000,000 per US$
- Zim$ drops faster than a rock!
- KQ's fortunes looking up...
- Safaricom IPO(OFS) gets murky.
- Suicide Jumper
- Kenya - Corruption back on track...
- Zimbabwe Billionaire...
- Bloggers pissed off at bloated cabinet...
- Is Mungiki related to PNU?
- List of Cabinet Ministers + my grades!
- 42 Ministers + prez + pm + 2 deputy pms = too many...
- Again - Apple TV is not GTV
- Kenyans sing the Indian National Anthem
- Coldtusker declared a Billionaire
- Tanzanians screwed by Bank of Tanzania!
- sam ' I can't count' kivuitu at it. Again.
- CMA wants to kill of Venture Capital Funds
- The "not so good" happenings in Kenya...
- Lower those brokerage fees!
- India Grows Up...
- bob ' the murderer' mugabe tries populism again......
- KPLC - Change the law!
- Kenya's economy suffers major hit
- Kenyan politicians killing the Golden Goose...
- New Cabinet Lineup...
- Kenya's New Cabinet is neither Lean nor Clean...
- Another pathetic article from Business Daily
- (Politically) Is Zimbabwe another Kenya?
- Kenyan gov't is senile...
- ▼ April (42)
- ► 2007 (79)
- ► 2006 (99)