Put in perspective... I estimate KShs 4bn will be needed to fund the lifestyles & salaries of 1 prez, 1 VP, 1 PM, 2 deputy PMs, 40 ministers, 80 asst ministers and all the razzmatazz (chase cars, houses, allowances, travel, security) that goes with their positions...
The sale of 25% of Safaricom will raise KShs 50-55bn... If the money was invested in 1 yr T-Bills the interest (8%) would just cover the above costs!!! No wonder there are no more complaints from either party about selling Safaricom's shares!
In the meantime, Kenyans pay:
- 50%+ in taxes on petrol while the oil companies (8% percent gross margin) are blamed
- relatively high income (25-33%) taxes on low thresholds while MPs pay almost nothing
- 26% in taxes on airtime while MPs get 'free' airtime allowances
- high duties & taxes (approaching 100%) on cars while MPs get cars duty free
- taxes on benefits like housing & car allowances while MPs pay nothing
For all the posturing... is there a LEADER among the elected politicians?
Sigh... I have said many times, we are cursed. We need a Guy Fawkes. We need a Lee Kuan Yew. We need LEADERS.